Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ratatouille

 


A few years ago, Pixar made an ambitious movie about rats---cooking rats. While some were too disgusted to even walk into the theater, I was in love with the French-themed film. So in love, in fact, that I was determined to cook this lovely, visually delicious "peasant dish" that so enticed Ego that he had flashbacks of his childhood.

Thankfully, I did not have to make it up on my own. Rachel Ray actually created a replica of the dish in honor of the movie. I have copied the link here for you to watch her make it. It looks complicated, but it is actually quite simple. If you're in a hurry, I recommend using an automatic vegetable slicer for the squash and zucchini. It cuts them nice and thin. Also, I typically double the recipe for my family of six and serve it with fresh salad and French bread.

It is a great meal to make with the family. It is a little time-consuming to cut up all of the vegetables, make the sauce, and  arrange the vegetables in a nice little spiral.

Ratatouille is now my favorite food. It is mild enough that it is homey and comforting, but it also has the flavor and texture of a creative, gourmet dish. The sauce is excellent, the secret being whole roasted red peppers. Rachel Ray covers it with parchment paper, which I highly recommend after trying some other things. But if you like your vegetables less brown and more tender, you could use foil. Just make sure you take it off half way through so that the moisture can evaporate. It's almost like boiling it when you do this.

Here is the link to Rachel Ray's recipe. I hope you try it and love it as much as my family and I do.

 http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/ratatouille/

Happy cooking,

Emily
                                                                              

Ratatouille
http://pixartimes.com/2013/04/02/the-pixar-perspective-on-the-pixar-moment-and-ratatouille/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment