Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tunnel Vision

I don't know about you, but when I'm working on a project, I get what is called "tunnel vision." My surroundings go dim, my eyes are wide, and my mind is turning. I can only focus on one thing: my project. I love to have a new obsession, something to get excited about, but it can also become extremely draining and distracting.

I recently got caught up in a new obsession. I have a passion for trying new things, and this time it is crochet shoes (like slippers only with durable soles). I have made five right-foot shoes so far, all discarded as I attempt to master the pattern I am making. I finally created a pattern I really like the other day. As you can see, it still needs a few adjustments, but I hope to make more to sell on my Etsy shop soon.



But here's the problem. This tunnel vision, while it seems exciting at first, distracts me from everything else if I'm not careful. I work all day without talking to other people or getting out of the house. I get sleepy, and eventually my brain fries and I am useless creatively. Because of this, I have to work in moderation. I'll work in the garden for an hour, eat with my family, go to church, have coffee with a friend, etc. Anything to get my mind out of creative-mode. No matter how valuable something is, no matter how much you love your work, moderation is key to success. Trying too much will waste your creative juices away. Take the time to fuel your tank and remember what truly matters.

Even more importantly, devote yourself to people, not projects. I learned a tough lesson today as I met a new group of friends. We talked about what we devote ourselves to and if any of it matters. In the end, people are what matter.

Where are you going? What is it for? How can you turn a hobby into a service to others? Because tunnel vision is really another word for narrow-minded--focusing on self. Broaden your scope. There's a whole world out there, waiting to be seen and known.

Enjoy your crafting--but don't let it consume you.

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment